A brief history of Lower South Grape Creek School (#6 on the driving map. located at 10273 East US Highway 290): Built in 1901. Consolidated in 1960. On holidays, such as Washington’s Birthday, Thanksgiving, and Christmas, students presented programs. All parts were memorized and families and the community were invited. Christmas plays were held inside this school with the front area having a curtain, and the students using a side window for the entrance and exit. Santa Claus handed out oranges, apples, and candy, and lit the candles on the Christmas tree. One year his beard caught on fire. He quickly exited through the window and headed for the well.
Current activities: The first community club was organized in 1960. It includes third and fourth generations of former students and neighbors. The Club meets quarterly throughout the year for a social. The restored building is used for weddings, reunions, meetings, and other community activities.
Stop by Saturday between 11 am and 4 pm to learn more
For more information, please visit historicschools.org